100% Whole Grain Mushroom Pizza Recipe
I am sharing this recipe because cooking is one of my favorite creative outlets that keeps me grounded in presence and I was so surprised how easy it was to make delicious homemade pizza. Also, I should mention that I just realized that I can’t spell recipe on the first try so you may feel differently about my opinion. This recipe is an adaptation to a recipe I found on while googling “100 percent whole wheat pizza dough” from tablespoon.com. I recommend that you customize it to your palette. This is perfect for me, but my partner Julie says its too “wheaty”. I added little boxes where I think it might be good to experiment. Enjoy!
15 minutes prep time. 1 1/2 hour Total Time
Makes 1 large pizza about the size of a cookie sheet. There might be a little extra dough left over if you make the crust thin, which I recommend. I just made a smaller second pizza out of the extra.
Mouse over items for ideas to customize.
- 2 1/2 Cups of 100% Whole Grain Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup of Warm Water
- Salt or Kosher Salt
- A pinch of Italian Seasoning (be generous)
- 1 Packet or 2 1/4th Teaspoons of Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon of Honey
- Mozzarella Cheese about 1 1/2 cups shredded or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Butter Softened
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Cup of Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 4 ounces of Pizza Sauce
- Add Warm Water, Honey, and Yeast into a small bowl mix and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 Cups of Flour, Salt, and Italian Seasoning into a large mixing bowl and mix.
- Add the Yeast, and Butter to the Flour mixture and use your hands to mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Add small handfuls of Flour to the mixture until the dough forms into a ball and is no longer sticking to the sides of the bowl. If you are mixing by hand it may still stick to your hands a little.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes then cover the bowl and let it stand in a warm place for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size. Feel free to let it stand longer. I like to prep this around lunch time for a pizza dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are using a pizza stone place the pizza stone in the oven on the top rack. If you are using a cookie sheet grease the pan with butter or olive oil to give it an extra delicious crust.
- Saute onions in a pan with a little olive oil on medium-high heat until the onions start to be translucent.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a flat surface and knead the dough on the surface for 5 minutes while adding small amounts of flower until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Take a rolling pin or wine bottle and roll the dough until it is about 1/8 – 1/4 of an inch thick. This can be a muscly task with whole wheat dough so be patient. Also, it helps to try to roll the dough into the shape of the pan or pizza stone that you will be using.
- Place the pizza on the cookie sheet or pizza stone and spoon pizza sauce, sprinkle cheese, add mushrooms, and onions on the top. Sprinkle a little more Italian Seasoning on the top and place into the oven for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove pizza from the oven when the cheese looks bubbly and amazing and the crust is brown. Slide onto a cutting surface, cut, and serve!